Sensory play, which may take multiple forms, is at the heart of learning during the first 2 years of your toddler. It is an activity that engages all five senses of your child, and it is considered one of the most crucial since it promotes cognitive development. One of the best tools to promote sensory learning is a sensory bin, which is a big container or plastic tub loaded with items and things that have been chosen specifically to engage the senses.
Shredded paper, water beads, sand, and other materials are just a few examples of the many diverse things that can be a part of sensory bins for toddlers. Your toddler needs to explore and interpret new things in their surrounding to build deeper connections and progress beyond worksheets. Children may explore, learn, and solve problems related to their safety and excitement levels through sensory bins.
The purpose of a sensory bin is not only to keep your young ones busy all the time but rather to provide kids the chance to succeed regardless of how well they can communicate or think.
In this article, we are going to review the 7 best sensory boards for 2-year-olds, but before that, let’s discuss the benefits of sensory bins for toddlers:
What are Sensory Bins Good For? (Top Benefits)
Not only are sensory bins entertaining, but they also play a crucial role in any early learning process. Touching and feeling things helps young children learn better, and sensory play gives kids the chance to learn in a variety of ways.
With the help of tactile play that involves all of their senses, children are given a chance to explore and learn through sensory bins. It’s a terrific idea that you could have these bins in your home since they promote and support many forms of growth. Holiday, seasonal, and intellectual themes can all be used for sensory bins, and toddlers can learn the variety of important things through them, including:
- Exploring the Senses – Sensory bins simultaneously engage all the senses of your young ones. You can use different materials like dry rice, pom-poms, beans, water, and pasta, to create diverse textures and feelings for your kid.
- Hand muscle Activity and Fine Motor Coordination – Through pouring, scooping, grabbing, and swirling with different utensils, your kids can practice their fine motor abilities. Spoons, shovels, tweezers, funnels, tongs, and measuring cups may be among them. These promote the use of tools and aid in the development of the grip patterns your kid will require for tasks like scribbling and employing dining tools. Additionally, it can improve hand muscle strength, bilateral coordination, motor skills coordination, and hand-eye coordination.
- Increasing peer interaction – When used in groups—including those made up of siblings and friends—sensory bins can promote social skills including sharing, cooperating, and communicating as well as taking turns.
- Developing Vocabulary – You may help your child’s vocabulary grow and language skills by having conversations with them about concealed objects.
- Soothing Impact – Children may unwind and play alone by using sensory bins as a quiet activity.
- Intellectual Growth – Your young ones will learn and perceive new sensations when they sort out objects based on color and size. This will not only be a fun activity but also boosts your child’s cognitive development.
Best Sensory Bins for 2-Year-Olds:
Safety is the most important factor to take into account while making a sensory bin for infants and toddlers. You can rest assured that all of the recommended sensory bins are safe enough for your little one, however, parent supervision is always a good idea regardless of the toy the child is playing with.
Now, if you want your kids to enjoy all the fantastic advantages these tools have to offer it’s time for you to get your own sensory bin. Here are the 7 best sensory bins for 2 years and beyond:
1. Made By Me Explore + Create Sea Life Sensory Bin
Slimy Sand Aqua Splash is sensory play sand that can be stretched and molded in and out of the water, allowing you to construct a variety of marine animals and keepsakes. You may play with the expanding water beads, imprint rollers, impression molds, shovels, kinetic sand, sifter, and other items in this sensory bin when you open it.
The play sand is incredibly elastic, allowing you to mold it as you choose. It also expands and contracts in water. The case may be used as storage space after your children have had time to play within it. You may use various cutout shapes, such as fish, mermaids, or other sea creatures to make a variety of sea creatures and then press the imprint plate into the sand to create different shapes.
Include some small pebbles and inflating water beads to the sensory bin to add even more texture, and watch as they change from being hard and rough to being soft and squishy. You can use the shovel to move and smash your creations or the sifter to sort among the pebbles. This sensory bin serves as a container for storage and a play area. When your kids are done playing with this sensory bin, you can easily fold up the parts and store them inside.
- The kit comes with three bottles full of water beads
- It is safe to use as it is a non-electronic toy
- Family-interactive activity
- It is not durable for long-term keep
- It is a little bit more costly than the other sensory bins
2. Creativity for Kids Sensory Bin: Garden and Critters
Moving next, Creativity for Kids Sensory Bin is another popular option that parents buy for their 2-year-olds. You can use this sensory bin to help your kid develop and teach them some new skills without needing a green thumb.
For toddlers who like using their hands to create things, this pretended garden construction toy is a great early learning experience. You can use the gardening equipment to cultivate your little garden with lovely imitation flowers and hands-on creative play.
This is a terrific indoor and outdoor game for kids since it allows endless play while they design their gardens, scoop, sort, and learn using their creative thinking. Your young ones can explore, invent, learn, and create while having fun and using their senses with this bin.
The best thing about this bin is that it comes with everything you need, including sensory sand, shovel, flower pot, tongs, plastic clitters, foam flowers, wooden beads, and rocks.
- Comes with kinetic sand and many tools
- Encourages independence
- Engages all senses
- Good quality product
- The plastic box is breakable.
- Not easy to clean
3. Toddler Sensory Table with Lid
The Sand ‘n Splash table is the ideal sensory bin that gives you a sensation of beach shore while you are in your house. You can install the play kit outdoor or indoors based on your child’s fascination. Your children can play with multiple beach toys on the kinetic sand and water, and they may spend all day building sand castles.
This sensory bin and table come with plenty of items, including a shovel, pail, boat, rake, crab shape sand mold, and a storage lid. Must mention that the items are easy to store in the plastic box to avoid misplacing any toy. You can also carry it anywhere as it is portable and easy to handle.
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to clean
- Not sturdy
4. Montessori Sensory Bin Tools with Wooden Box
This sensory bin is a wooden box that can be filled with oats, beans, and sand for the amusement of your young ones. It consists of multiple tools like tongs, pliers, containers, and scoops that your toddler can use to play. The instruments included in the kit are natural, well-polished, and give children a lovely sensual experience. The fun activity of transferring, stacking, scooping the sand, and pouring things will boost your child’s cognitive development.
The Montessori sensory bin will encourage self-exploratory skills in your toddler so he can remain calm and develop his focus from a very young age. You can also allow your child to have this sensory bin to play with fellow toddlers as it will foster his social and team-building skills.
- High-quality product
- Polished and smooth edges
- It comes with thirteen different trash cans
- The jars have tight lids.
- Does not include fillings
5. Hot Bee Water Table for Toddlers
Your 2-year-old will be drawn to this kids’ water table by its intriguing and adorable embellishments and vibrant colors. Toddlers will enjoy playing with this colorful and vibrant sensory bin that comes with 25 pieces of water toys. The materials on this sensory table include dirt, water, sand, and snow. You can allow your children to explore their senses in different ways, so they can grow creatively and physically.
This sensory bin does not take long to assemble, and you can install it in only one minute without using other tools. Toddlers of age between one to three years can play with the actual sand, water table, and the water-toy replicas. This sensory bin is also super easy to transport and clean.
- The material used in the bin makes it sturdy
- It is safe to say that this sensory bin is non-toxic
- This sensory bin is a suitable gift for young ones
- This sensory bin is significantly costlier than the other bins
- The product quality is not as good as the other sensory bins
- It is relatively smaller in size than the other bins
6. KOOKAROO Sensory Play Bin
Your child’s sensory development will benefit from this all-natural wooden set. It comes with nine sets of wooden tools designed for different activities. You may use the Kookaroo Sensory Play Set for healthy 2-years-olds as well as for kids with autistic spectrum as this toy has special advantages for youngsters with sensory issues. The ergonomic fine motor skills toys from Kookaroo assist children with special needs to unwind, quiet down, concentrate and feel at ease while they develop vital social skills.
- It has open-ended toys for your kids to play with
- It is simple to use
- The bin follows safety protocols with smooth and polished edges
- Not durable
- Using the sensory play bin can get messy
7. Play Sand Ice Cream Kit
This sensory bin will induce sensory stimulation and fosters cognitive growth in your toddlers. It contains a play sand kit with 24 sand molds, eight kitchen toys, ten sand tools, one storage bag, and an inflatable bag. It is easy to use and can reduce space consumption. You can put all the toys in the inflatable storage bag for safe keeping to use later. Your young ones can use the molds to form different shapes.
- Easy to clean
- It is a giftable product
- It is easy to carry around
- Using the sensory play bin can get messy
The sensory bins are designed to attract your 2-years-old who is looking for an interactive and fun indoor session. In addition to being excellent therapeutic tools for dealing with sensory processing, sensory bins can help increase attention span in general.
These toys can help youngsters who need to acquire a particular ability or a mix of abilities. You can easily change up your sensory bins using items you already have on hand, according to the season, or by having your youngster assist in creating one. Your young ones can independently examine the contents in a sensory bin using their senses and imagination without expecting to produce anything.
You May Also Like: